Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Movie I'm Loving (Review): Grave of the Fireflies



I have always admired Japan for its technological mystic cities and countryside heaven-worth landscapes based off of elaborate descriptions from various friend’s sightings, from pictures, books, and of course movies. I have always gravitated to the culture out of pure fascination and wonder, and this curiosity formed by the basic captivating reference by anime/manga. Yes, I am proud to admit that I love anime, and as a result I eventually stumbled upon the popular movie The Grave of the Fireflies that was directed by Isao Takahata 1988.
The main characters of this movie are two orphaned children, a preteen boy known as Seita and a little girl named Setsuko, and from their eyes you were provided the views of war from a child’s perspective. Within this 88 minute movie you will go through their journey as World War Two comes to an ending. Life does not go easy for the pair as their family is torn apart and food rations fall short during their attempts to survive.
The movie, though terribly sad and defiantly powerful enough to be considered life altering, is something that I advise for everyone to see at least once. Not a fan of anime? No worries, they have a real version as well. This movie really made me take a step back and realize, not for the first time, that I am truly blessed. And it also made me pray twice as hard for Japan’s situation as of now.
In History we just went over World War two and let me tell you, this movie made me see a whole other side to what happened to them that I was not and could be taught. So far the several people that I have recommended the movie to already said that it was amazing despite the tragedy that inked the film with its devastation. Let me warn you it will make your eyes water a little, but not in that chic flick sort of way. In my opinion I would give it fives stars for the creativity, the art, the story, and for the message that I got from it. Hopefully you will check this amazing movie out and feel this way as well.

more pictures from the movie





No comments:

Post a Comment